by Su Lukasha
Whether the product is intended for massage, bathing, cosmetic use, a healing salve or balm, or to dilute essential oils, the most important foundation in perfecting our finished products are organic, cold pressed, unrefined carrier oils that contain the properties that are appropriate for our intended product. Antioxidants, Emollients, Emulsifiers, Humectants, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-fungal, Antiviral and Antibacterial properties are included in this article. (See description of properties at end of article.)
First, make sure you source your carrier oils (and any herbs, beeswax, essential oils, etc) from reliable, sustainable, certified organic companies. When choosing herbs or oils for medicinal purposes, it just doesn’t make sense to ingest or apply ingredients that contain potentially harmful chemicals. When it comes to essential oils, it is so important to have “clean” oils, as the distillation process concentrates the chemicals within, so any chemicals in the plant will be concentrated as well. We believe going organic is the single, most solution-oriented, responsible means we have to save the plant and her inhabitants. If you are making your own small batches, you can purchase organic ingredients from Mountain Rose Herbs, or Starwest Botanicals safely. Jedwards International offers organic carrier oils and provides COA testing results as well. Do your research before purchasing herbs and essential oils, etc., from online sources. Some are great, others should be avoided, as you may not always be getting what you think.
Below is a brief explanation of some of the oils we use for what, and why. We hope it helps you decide what to use in your DIY home remedies. There are so many wonderful oils, all for specific products, and many are not listed here.
We use organic Hemp Seed Oil for its ability to nourish the skin and help increase blood circulation. hemp seed oil is derived from the industrial hemp plant and is almost free of THC. Therefore it has no psychoactive properties. hemp seed oil contains a number of fatty acids which are very healthy for your skin. These fatty acids nourish and moisturize your skin and contain anti-aging properties, leaving skin healthy and young looking. Hemp seed oil helps prevent skin disorders including psoriasis, eczema, acne and dry skin. It has a rich green color, so it will slightly color your salves, balms and oils. It also has a distinct odor, so we never use it as our carrier oil when diluting essential oil blends. Great for salves, balms, oils and including in home made salad dressing!
We use organic Castor Oil for its anti-inflammatory properties, its ability to increase circulation and healing of tissues and organs beneath the skin. It helps with detoxification and stimulates the liver, fights signs of aging, helps prevent stretch marks, reduces pigmentation and blemishes, and helps reduce acne. Castor oil has been used for thousands of years as a cure for a variety of ailments including constipation, but is mostly used topically today because of it’s potential toxicity when taken internally. Edgar Cayce used it often and is largely responsible for it’s common use today. Great to use in topical salves, balms, and oils.
* We use organic Olive Oil for its nutritious quality and its emollient properties which give it the ability to prevent moisture loss from your skin. Unlike petroleum-based oil (i.e. mineral oil, etc), olive oil will not clog your pores. Olive oil has anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating squalene, making it an excellent oil for hair and skin products. It’s antibacterial properties make it an excellent carrier oil for salves, balms and oils used to help with eczema, diaper rash, cuticles, hair treatments, shaving cream, and shampoos.
* We use organic Safflower Oil because it is an excellent lubricant to moisturize and hydrate your skin as it is high in linoleic acid (omega 6 fatty acid), which also makes it excellent for acne-prone skin. Safflower oil contains antioxidant properties and is a light oil packed with essential vitamins and is great to include in hair treatments, salves, balms, and massage oils.
* We use organic Sunflower Oil because it is an excellent emollient and antioxidant, rich in Vitamins E, A, C and D with healthy carotenoids and waxes that form a protective barrier on your skin helping to maintain hydration. A great oil for protecting skin from damaging effects of the sun including skin cancer and premature aging. Good for sunscreen formulas, salves, balms and oils.
* We use organic Coconut Oil for its emollient, humectant and antibacterial properties, as well as for its high content of saturated fats. It is a gentle skin moisturizer that does not clog pores. It keeps your skin soft and can help fight the bacteria that causes acne and pimples. We use MCT coconut oil (medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid that has numerous health benefits, and is without odor) as the carrier oil in our Chakra Essentials perfume roll on oils, so as to ensure to integrity of the essential oils scents.
* We use organic Sesame Oil because it a potent antioxidant, anti-fungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory agent. It penetrates the skin to the tissues below to neutralize free radicals and enters the blood stream through the capillaries. It helps to maintain good cholesterol (HDL) and lower bad cholesterol (LDL).
*We use organic Jojoba Oil for its ability to reduce or prevent acne, help with dry skin, and sunburn, and for it’s stabilizing qualities. It is a nutritious emollient (moisturizer) and is listed as a vitamin supplement by the FDA.
* We use organic Beeswax primarily as a thickening agent in our salves and balms, though it is not without amazing benefits! It is an emollient and contains Vitamin A thus provides long-term moisturizing, locking moisture into the skin. It contains anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties which can help soothe irritated skin. It also contains anti-germicidal properties which can help heal minor skin abrasions and cuts. Beeswax provides an excellent layer of protection for your skin from environmental irritants and harsh weather.
A Brief Description FYI:
Antioxidants helps protect skin from damaging effects of free radicals.
Anti-inflammatories reduce swelling.
Anti-fungals fight or prevent fungal infections.
Antibacterials fight or prevent bacterial infections
Antivirals fight or prevent viral infections.
Emollients lubricate and soften skin, and help prevent water loss.
Emulsifiers help mix together oil and water.
Humectants help bind water so the skin retains moisture.
Thank you for going organic. Hope this information was helpful!